Day by Day

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kickin Up Our Heels

When I was growing up my parents had a small group of close friends that used to go out country western dancing on the weekends, we all had campers and would load up and go to a little dive bar in Yucca Valley called the "Longhorn Saloon".  They had a live country band on the weekends and catered to the local marines and good ole boys. It was somewhat of a family place and blast for us all, good clean fun where I learned how to dance from my Dad and Uncles and also some very important rules for life.

Erik and I recently reconnected with an old friend and co worker who just so happens to own a little place up in Apple Valley The Cadillac Ranch, we drove up and spent the night Partying like Rock Stars with Allison this weekend and it brought back so many fun memories for me.

It also made me think that I have been negligent in exposing my children to the world of fun dancing.  My parents drug me everywhere, I was an only child so it was a lot easier than packing up my brood of 7 or 8 but still.  They really did a good job of showing me very different sides of things. My Dad was a very well respected private contractor and we were invited to open houses and Christmas parties of the very affluent and then we would go yhee haw it up and rodeo BBQ's and back yard barn dances.
I think I could do a better job of well rounding the kids I have left at home.




No comments: